“Don’t count on motivation; count on discipline.” – Jocko Willink
Jocko Willink (@jockowillink) is one of the scariest human beings imaginable. Jocko did his first interview with me (find it here), and it took the Internet by storm. Now he joins us for round two to answer the questions you’ve been asking.
Jocko is a lean 230 pounds. He is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu expert who used to tap out 20 Navy SEALs per workout. He is a legend in the Special Operations world. His eyes look through you more than at you.
Jocko spent 20 years in the US Navy and commanded SEAL Team 3’s task unit Bruiser, the most highly decorated special operations unit in the Iraq War. Upon returning to the US, Jocko served as the officer in charge of training for all West Coast SEAL teams, designing and implementing some of the most challenging and realistic — and perhaps psychotic — combat training in the world (his words, not mine).
After retiring from the Navy, he co-founded Echelon Front, a leadership and management consulting company and authored the number one New York Times bestseller Extreme Ownership: How US Navy SEALs Lead and Win.
I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I did!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another podcast episode with Jocko? — Listen to our first interview together. Jocko might be the scariest Navy SEAL alive, and this episode shares how he earned that reputation. Learn what he taught me (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Headspace, the world’s most popular meditation app (with more than 4,000,000 users). It’s used in more than 150 countries, and many of my closest friends swear by it. Try Headspace’s free Take10 program — 10 minutes of guided meditation a day for 10 days. It’s like a warm bath for your mind. Meditation doesn’t need to be complicated or expensive, and it’s had a huge impact on my life. Try Headspace for free for a few days and see what I mean.
This podcast is also brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service led by technologists from places like Apple. It has exploded in popularity in the last two years and now has more than $2.5B under management. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you — for free — exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Well worth a few minutes to explore: wealthfront.com/tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Jocko and his organizations on Twitter:
- Connect with Jocko and his organizations on Facebook:
- The Scariest Navy SEAL Imaginable…And What He Taught Me (Jocko’s first appearance on the show)
- Extreme Ownership: How US Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- Learn more about Victory MMA and Fitness, Jocko Willink’s gym in San Diego
- Seeking solutions in business or leadership? Check out Echelon Front
- About Face: The Odyssey of an American Warrior by Colonel David H. Hackworth and Julie Sherman
- With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge
- Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters by Dick Winters and Cole C. Kingseed
- I Remember The Last War by Bob Hoffman
- Steel My Soldiers’ Hearts: The Hopeless to Hardcore Transformation of U.S. Army, 4th Battalion, 39th Infantry, Vietnam by Col. David H. Hackworth
- Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat by James R. McDonough
- The Killing Zone: My Life in the Vietnam War by Frederick Downs, Jr.
- charity: water helps people in developing parts of the world get access to the potable water Jocko talks about.
- United States Armed Forces oath of enlistment
- The Joe Rogan Experience #729 with Jocko Willink
- Nuremberg trials
- Extreme Ownership Muster Event
- The Second Battle of Ramadi
- Brazilian jiu-jitsu
- Indirect approach
- How does Jocko shut down internal doubt and negative chatter during critical moments? [06:54]
- How Jocko’s love of literature influence his leadership skills — and his most recommended books. [12:05]
- Jocko’s advice to young men and women who are no longer in the military but are still looking to contribute. [18:41]
- Thoughts on “being a pawn of the industrial military complex to serve the economic interests of US corporations?” [22:36]
- On the United States’ use of resources. [28:52]
- The hardest thing Jocko has ever endured. [33:59]
- What advice would Jocko give an active duty member of the military after election day (presumably if their candidate of choice is not elected)? [35:23]
- The most effective way to get leaders to stop supporting ineffective practices. [38:05]
- How would Jocko’s life of extreme discipline translate to those involved in creative pursuits? [42:13]
- After working with and training so many companies, are there any repeating patterns or common weaknesses that business owners seem to need to work on? [46:46]
- What is Jocko’s approach for overcoming personal challenges? [51:37]
- How can you stay motivated when every day is a struggle? [55:05]
- How does Jocko feel about killing (sometimes innocent) people at war? How does he feel about war in general? [1:00:40]
- The biggest lessons from jiu-jitsu that transcend fighting and can be applied to leadership. [1:10:23]
- Hillary Clinton
- Donald Trump
- Barack Obama
- Richard M. Nixon
- John F. Kennedy
- Ronald Reagan
- Joe Rogan
- Leif Babin
Posted on: September 21, 2016.
The Tim Ferriss Show is generally the #1 business podcast on iTunes, and it was selected for iTunes' "Best of 2015." Each episode deconstructs world-class performers from eclectic areas (investing, sports, business, art, etc.) to extract the tactics, tools, and routines you can use. If you want to 10x your productivity, click here.