“We can’t out-obedience the competition.” – Seth Godin
I expected this episode to be amazing, and Seth 10x’d expectations. He’s incredible.
Seth Godin (@thisissethsblog) is the author of 17 bestselling books that have been translated into more than 35 languages. He writes about the way ideas spread, marketing, strategic quitting, leadership, and — most of all — challenging the status quo in all areas. His books include Linchpin, Tribes, The Dip, Purple Cow, and What to Do When it’s Your Turn (and it’s Always Your Turn).
Seth has founded several companies, including Yoyodyne and Squidoo. His blog (which you can find by typing “Seth” into Google) is one of the most popular in the world. In 2013, Godin was inducted into the Direct Marketing Hall of Fame. Recently, Godin turned the book publishing world on its ear by launching a series of four books via Kickstarter. The campaign reached its goal in just three hours and became the most successful book project in Kickstarter history.
In this episode, we cover dozens of topics and stories, including some he’s never discussed publicly before. Here’s a small sample:
- A list of the audiobooks he listens to repeatedly, some once per month
- His morning routine, breakfast, dietary habits, and email processing
- Meditative practices
- Why he’s fixated on and mastered coffee and vodka, despite the fact that he consumes neither
- Suggestions for going from “wantrepreneur” to entrepreneur
- How to determine if you’re better off a “freelancer” or “entrepreneur,” and the differences in his mind
- Why he has the most impressive cookbook collection our mutual chef friends have ever seen
- His rules for saying “no” to opportunities, how he thinks about public speaking, etc.
- His recipe for honey oatmeal vodka, and his favorite chocolates in the world
- Thoughts on improving how parents educate their children
- General philosophies and guidelines he uses for life management
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another podcast related to leadership and marketing? — Listen to my conversation with Derek Sivers. In my conversation with Seth Godin, he mentions that this was his favorite episode. “I love Derek,” were his exact words. In this podcast, Derek discusses developing confidence, finding happiness, and saying “no” to millions (stream below or right-click here to download):
All you need to do to get your free audiobook and a free 30-day trial is go to Audible.com/tim. Choose one of the above books, or choose between more than 180,000 audio programs. That could be a book, a newspaper, a magazine or even a class. It’s that easy. Go to Audible.com/Tim and get started today. Enjoy!
This podcast is brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What advice from Seth did you find most helpful? More importantly, how will you apply it to your life? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…