“Don’t dismiss people, don’t be a dick, and don’t rush. Play the long game.”
– Tim Ferriss
Welcome to a special edition of The Tim Ferriss Show. Back in 2007, I experienced a massive tipping point for The 4-Hour Workweek at the South by Southwest (SXSW) conference held in Austin, Texas. Two or three days played a key role in the book becoming a worldwide bestseller in 40+ languages.
So what exactly happened at the event? How did I optimize those 2-3 days?
The below audio is a presentation I recently gave about a better, more effective way to network. My suggestions might surprise you or seem counterintuitive–the best way to build a world-class network quickly is to spend very little time networking, at least not in the “ugh, gross” sleazy sense of the word.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How SXSW played a role in the success of The 4-Hour Workweek
- How you can “stack the deck” for your own product launches
- Simple biohacks for handling booze overload and sleep deprivation
- Why it’s so important to meet people in person to build your network
- The most common mistakes people make when attempting to “network”
- How to interact with A-listers (or opt not to)
- How to enjoy the ride and not end up exhausted with a pocket full of business cards that do nothing
- And much, much more…
If you are able to apply a few lessons from this talk, you may find that you never have to network again.
There is a better way.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Want to hear a podcast relating to mental performance and stamina? — Listen to my conversations with my friend, Ed Cooke, a Grandmaster of Memory. In this episode, we discuss mental performance, imagination, and productive mischief (stream below or right-click part 1 here and part 2 here to download):
This episode is brought to you advertisement-free. Want this to happen more often?
Every Friday, I send out a very short email called 5-Bullet Friday. It includes the coolest things I’ve been playing with that week, such as favorite articles, gizmos and gadgets, movies, and other stuff you can use immediately.
Sign up for a week and give it a try. It’s 100% free, super short, and a small dose of awesome to kick off every weekend.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What’s the most important lesson you’ve ever learned about “networking” or interacting with big wigs? Please share in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…