This episode is brought to you by…you guys. To help keep this podcast going, please check out the Tim Ferriss Book Club, where, every 1-2 months, I highlight one book that’s changed my life. Here are the first four books.
Now, on to our guest…Joe De Sena.
Joe De Sena is the co-founder of The Death Race, Spartan Race (1M+ competitors), and more. Among other things, he has completed the famously grueling Iditarod dogsledding race…on FOOT. And what about the Badwater Ultramarathon (135 miles at over 120 °F/49 °C), Vermont 100, and Lake Placid Ironman? He did all of those in ONE WEEK. The man is a maniac, and he’s a very strategic businessman.
This episode covers his story, as well as his approaches to grit, endurance, and building empires.
This show’s had more than two million downloads…but only 550 or so reviews! WTF?! If you’d like me to continue doing these podcasts, please leave a short one here. It will help the show tremendously, including my ability to bring on more incredible guests.
Show notes and links (e.g. mentioned books, resources) can be found below.
If you’ve missed previous episodes, here are two you might enjoy:
Show Notes and Select Links from Episode 16
- The story of his entrepreneurial beginnings — pool boy to the organized crime figures of New York
- Becoming an expert in women’s clothing
- How he ended up on Wall Street, and why it led Joe to adventure races
- What is the Death Race, and who enters a race with a name like that?
- 3 races and a wedding (saying “yes” can get you in trouble)
- How the Spartan Race became a global phenomenon
- Behind the scenes of Spartan Up!
- Much more….
LINKS FROM EPISODE 16
- Visit the Tim Ferriss Book Club to find a new book each month (or so) that’s changed my life
- Death Race – “Every man dies, but not every man lives”
- Obstacle Course Races: Spartan Race
- The last great race: Iditarod
- Learn more about the Badwater Ultramarathon
- Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Race
- Spartan Up! by Joe De Sena (the official website)
Books Mentioned in the Episode
- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
- Shogun by James Clavell
- The One-Minute Manager by Ken H. Blanchard
- Spartan Up!: A Take-No-Prisoners Guide to Overcoming Obstacles and Achieving Peak Performance in Life by Joe De Sena
Posted on: July 1, 2014.
The Tim Ferriss Show is generally the #1 business podcast on iTunes, and it was selected for iTunes' "Best of 2015." Each episode deconstructs world-class performers from eclectic areas (investing, sports, business, art, etc.) to extract the tactics, tools, and routines you can use. If you want to 10x your productivity, click here.